The Class of 2019 - 2020
Project - 1960 Tiger Cub
Project - 1960 Tiger Cub
- Clutch & clutch cable (Jen, Macey)
- Transmission & primary chain & drive chain & sprockets (Jake, Kate)
- Top end – valves, rockers, barrel, piston (Anna, Rupert)
- Fluids – oil, gasoline (Andy, Daniel)
- Carburetor & throttle & cables (Taylor, Adam)
- Detailing – painting & prep (Cecelia, Barry)
- Front fork & steering & front wheel & handlebar (Kaixing, Reese)
- Frame & brakes & rear wheel (Annie, Hien)
- Electrical – alternator & rectifier & points & harness & cable making (Ben, Daphne)
Unfortunately because of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year's course could not run as planned. The students were unable to complete a restoration of the planned machine as they were instructed not to return to the physical campus. Because of this, they did their readings and meetings virtually through zoom. Some of the work completed is detailed below:
Solving the leaking problem of the ‘63 Triumph - take apart timing side to investigate - solve any existing problems and observe the oil system.
The Outer Timing Cover - leaking that reached the outer timing cover when opened (big no-no) - Oil was already drained prior to opening cover.
The Push Forward:
Surpassing the Inner Timing Cover - Risqué techniques employed (troubles getting Tri-Bond off) - Professor Littman’s finessé enables us to take off cover easily.
Oil Pump Problems:
Previous group failed to properly tighten oil pump - Attention was not brought to broken spring!
Triumph Legacy and Tasks Still Left:
Still haemorrhaging oil (but hopefully no internal bleeding from the oil pump).
Next suspect: Scavenge line manifold gasket.
During our (half) Semester in the Lab we researched electrical systems, learned to solder, cut and strip wires and make bullet connectors.
We fixed two motorcycle horns and found how they work. We used the sandblaster to clean the contact points to ensure electrical connections, then adjusted the tuning screws to reinstate functionality.
The piston hits a switch that disconnects the electromagnet so that the piston moves back. The repetition of the piston movement causes the very intimidating horn noise.
We tested and wired a lighting system. Made new wires and bullet connectors and began wiring some of the back lights.
We made springs for the brake light.
Stepping on the rear brake pulls a spring attached to switch. This activates the switch and turns on brake light.
We learned how to use Falstad to simulate circuits.
We adjusted the ignition points
Frames & (attempted) Fenders team
We took the frame apart and learned all the parts.
We sandblasted every joint to check for cracks and noticed moisture on the joints.
We thought it was cracked but it was fine so we plugged all the holes ready for powder coating.
We tried to remove the swing-arm from the frame using a hydraulic press, and accidentally bent the swing arm!
We were in the process of getting measurements to cut the fenders into the right size for our bike (the suspension for our bike was too short and we were going to order longer ones because we had an 18 inch & a 19 inch wheel) – for next year!
At least we managed to ride them!